Pages

Friday, June 23, 2017

Project: EATS 2017 Meet the Vendor: Dark Side of the Moo

The Jersey City Project's Project Eats 2017 is back on 6/24 and 6/25 with new vendors and returning favorites, all ready to serve up some delicious, indulgent eats. To help get you ready, I'm excited to be collaborating with The Jersey City Project to spotlight some of the vendors from this year's Project Eats, learning more about their business, their food, and what they love about Jersey City.

This week, we're focusing on some favorite Jersey City vendors. Find out more about Dark Side of the Moo, a long time food truck and favorite neighborhood spot who will be bringing some extreme variety to Project: EATS

Photo provided by The Jersey City Project

What inspired you to start Dark Side of the Moo?
Superstorm Sandy. It hit Hoboken hard where I live and in the aftermath, the mayor put out an SOS for food trucks. When I saw the food trucks scattered around town, I was inspired to do it.   

That's a great way to get started. What made you decide to focus on exotic meat?
When I fell in love with the idea, I needed a menu. People raved about my pulled pork for years so I started with that. A natural segue from that would be burgers. Americana became the theme. After a few weeks I thought I'm never going to get anywhere quickly with this, I had no edge, no hook. "Best burger, best pulled pork - boring." So I googled for ideas. Hot Dougs in Chicago and Biker Jim's in Denver do a Game Sausage of the Week and that triggered my memory of having alligator sausage when I was in New Orleans. So it became "Let's see if anyone else is doing it, let's see if I can get it." Tried it, smash hit, niche found

Pulled Wild Boar Taco
You've been part of the Jersey City food truck community for several years and have a restaurant here. What made you decide to open your business here?
Jersey City has become a foodie hub. I love Hoboken but there are just too many typical pizza joints. Jersey City offers more diversity and a palate that seeks out something new. 

Is there anything unique or that you really enjoy about working in Jersey City?
Many things. The diversity of people and the creativity. The solidarity between the trucks. 
An educated client base that appreciates what we offer. Without being preachy, we have regular or locally sourced grass-fed beef, and people like the option. All our game meats are pasture-raised with no antibiotics, growth hormones and natural feed. People understand and value this. Jersey City government is very pro small-business. Every step of the licensing for the truck and restaurant has been very easy and all the staff very helpful.

What do you enjoy about Project: Eats?
Learning from other food vendors, getting inspired.

Do you have a personal favorite menu item?
Smoked Alligator sausage or yak burger.

Thank you to Dark Side of the Moo and make sure to check out their truck this Sunday at Project: EATS!

No comments:

Post a Comment