Pages

Friday, June 16, 2017

Project Eats 2017 Meet the Vendor: Moffle Bar

The Jersey City Project's Project Eats 2017 is back on 6/24 and 6/25 with new vendors and returning favorites, all ready to serve up some delicious, indulgent eats. To help get you ready, I'm excited to be collaborating with The Jersey City Project to spotlight some of the vendors from this year's Project Eats, learning more about their business, their food, and what they love about Jersey City. 

Meet Moffle Bar, a first timer at Project Eats with decadent desserts inspired by what the food community loves. 

How did Moffle Bar get started?
Moffle started, basically with a tinder date. I was on a second date with a chef and talked about the opportunity of opening as a vendor at a the first Queens International Night Market. We ended up opening a stand together for a season and then broke up and dissolved the business. Over the winter, I missed the market incredibly and wanted to do it on my own. A friend had recently returned from a trip to Taiwan where mochi was very popular at the outdoor markets. One google lead to another, several test batches and recipe rewrites later and the Moffle was born. 


What is the inspiration behind your food? How do you come up with all your flavors?
My food is highly inspired by Instagramers. I love seeing what's trending and amazing pictures of foods that just make your mouth water and you think to yourself "I want to eat that!" So I'll try to translate various trending foodie flavors and finds. The "Drunken Unicorn Moffle" was a big hit at the June Midnight Market. It was Tito's vodka infused with fruity pebbles and combined with condensed milk. I may just continue an alcohol infused Moffle for that particular venue. 


You've been involved with a few different events in Jersey City. What keeps bringing you back? What makes being a vendor here fun?
I've lived in Jersey city for almost a decade. I was very much into family life - husband, kids, a full time job as a PE teacher in NYC. My life took a 180 degree turn when my husband passed away from leukemia in 2014. He was my best friend and when he passed, I was alone in a city that I rarely ventured into. In 2016, I vowed to have a year of "Yes". Say yes to everything - every play date, every invite, every - everything. I put myself out there and began to venture more into my town and met incredibly great people. Jersey City residents are so loyal and supportive of local vendors.  I especially enjoy being a vendor at the Midnight Market. Lisi and Perla are two amazing female entrepreneur that create this amazing environment for the vendors. It's the one event I look forward to every single month. They get the local crowd excited to try new and different foods - and well, there's these sangria quarts along with a DJ that spins throw back music all night. But they also know all the vendors on a personal level. They've checked in with me on numerous occasions to ask how my father is doing (currently battling lung cancer). I simply love the sense of community that I have in Jersey City. 

Those are tough circumstances to start under, but glad to hear you've found a strong community. 

I like to think that this is the path that I was meant to be on. I mean, if my husband were still alive, I'd likely still be a PE teacher and not ever have the opportunity to realize my full potential. My circumstances have actually set me free of having to work for someone else and be able to be here for my kids whenever they need me. It's given me one thing I never really had - time. I love sharing my story and hope that it teaches other widows that may be struggling to find themselves after such a devastating loss. I'd love to one day start a non-profit to help widows with grief through obstacle course racing. Yes, I'm a lunatic and I'm a passionate obstacle course racer as well. It's a metaphor for my life. 

What are you looking forward to as a first time vendor for Project: Eats?
I'm excited for Project Eats because I hear it's the biggest vending event of the year! I can't wait to join the exceptional group of vendors that have been picked to serve the community on the doorstep of Mayor Fulop's office. The food scene in Jersey City has grown tremendously over the last few years and will continue to be on the map as a destination for foodies with events like this that highlight the local talent. 

Are there any other vendors you really enjoy?
The vending community is actually pretty small. Everyone knows each other from working at the various markets. I always try to introduce myself to other vendors to make new connections to share resources for various markets, ideas, and in general, just to get to know my community of vendors.  I can't be more thankful to know Chef Flo at Eemas Cuisine. His Sweet Sambal chicken wings are heavenly. Besides that, Chef Flo sets a standard for vending. His tent is impeccable in regards to health standards, the marketing/branding/stylizing of his food is beautiful, the customer service is top notch and the food is delicious. I'm fortunate to be able to pick his brain so that I can get myself to the next level. 


Do you have a favorite flavor off your menu? Is there a consistent best seller?
Hands down, my favorite flavor is the Unicorn Moffle. It's a vanilla Moffle drizzled with condensed milk and topped with fruity pebbles. There's just something about the condensed milk that makes the flavor of the fruity pebbles pop. The cereal itself is nostalgic while giving the Moffle a wonderful crunch. The array of colors makes that Moffle highly photogenic so it's a pretty plate as well. It has consistently been the best selling and most photographed item on my menu.

The enthusiasm is contagious! Thank you to Moffle Bar and make sure to try these colorful and delicious creations at Project Eats both Saturday and Sunday.

All photos courtesy of Moffle Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment