Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Flavors of Fall at 6th Borough Market

This past Sunday was the second occurrence of the 6th Borough Market and it was once again packed with stalls full of gorgeous, creative household goods, art, and jewelry. I loved being able to walk around, looking at everything and seeing the amazing things other people create and/or find.

However, I was really there for the food. Both Jersey City Veggie Burgers and Milk Sugar Love had tweeted that they would be there with some new items and I couldn't wait to check them out.
 
JCVB had been posting about an upcoming pumpkin burger and Sunday was its debut. If I'm recalling the ingredient list correctly, I believe it's made with pumpkin (obviously), apple, leek, and parsnip. I accidentally drowned mine in mustard (don't be like me), but enjoyed every bite. Because of the apple, I was expecting something slightly sweet, but found it was actually very savory in flavor which I loved. It was autumnal without lending itself to dessert which a lot of pumpkin-based foods do. All the flavors blended well together, creating a creamy, slightly oniony, roasted squash-like taste that was both unique and delicious. I also loved the texture to the burger - it was soft, but not mushy and what I think was the parsnip added a bit of mellow crunch - very slight, but just enough to really add some variety to the burger. I'm looking forward to enjoying this a few more times before the season is over.


After eating my veggie burger, I moved on to Milk Sugar Love where there were several tempting flavors on offer, but I was most intrigued by the apple cider sorbet and I thought it was worth sticking with the fall theme. It was excellent - sweet and almost juicy, but far from cloying or overwhelming. It was light, refreshing, but had such an intensity of pure apple flavor. I really can't imagine not enjoying this.

The next 6th Borough Market  is November 17th and Milk Sugar Love has already promised some baked good and small bite sweets so start planning ahead now and in the meantime, try to catch the pumpkin veggie burger and apple cider sorbet at other events around town!

2 comments:

  1. Great review JCEats! Fall is an awesome time of year for food and the pumpkin burger and apple cider sorbet sound like the perfect flavors for the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I agree, these are great ways to enjoy the splendor of fall!

      Delete