Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Event Recap: 28th Annual Hamilton Park Festival and Lizzmonade!

Last Saturday, June 8th, Hamilton Park held their annual festival - #28, filled with live performances and music, booths, family activities, and of course, food! It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm, inviting everyone out to play.
There was music and entertainment for kids and families at the center of the park with live bands also performing on the Jersey Avenue side, appealing to all ages. I saw a variety of booths, some promoting new events or different organizations in Jersey City; others selling some interesting art pieces and collectibles. It was great to walk around and peruse. I was impressed by the attendance and it made me very excited to see people getting involved and enjoying the sense of community.



As I wandered through, I decided to stop by Lizzmonade, a fresh squeezed lemonade stand that offers different flavor combinations and mix-ins. I often see at the farmers markets and other events downtown, but had yet to try them.  It was pretty late in the day when I stopped by, so unfortunately, they were already out of several of their options but I went with a Blackberry Mint Lemonade and was not sorry. 

The lemons are fresh squeezed and as I watched them hand-muddle the mint and blackberries, and mix everything all together, I knew it would be fresh and flavorful and I’m happy to report I was right. They let you pick your sweetener and although I didn't specify, I found the lemonade to be perfectly sweet – not cloying, but tart, refreshing, and fruity.  While I didn't get any big hits of mint, I actually think that was for the best as the tastes I did get were cooling and delicious, but I could easily see it overwhelming the other flavors.  It was a pretty big lemonade, with fresh fruit and totally handmade so I consider the $4.10 it cost pretty reasonable.

All in All:

The festival was fun and a great way to spend part of a sunny Saturday. My lemonade was a perfect way to enjoy it and a nice summer drink that I look forward to enjoying again, in different flavors and combinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment