Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Just a Note


Like many others, I was shocked and saddened to learn that 
Natalia Caicedo, known as Natasha, of Kraverie died recently from injuries sustained during a hit and run.

I did not know her well; I didn't know her at all except as the presence behind the Taco Truck, Lucinda Creperie, and Kraverie but even in the handful of times I visited those locations, she made a lasting impression. She was always welcoming, calm, gracious, and patient which is quite a feat in the restaurant industry.....it's quite a feat in day to day life, let alone the restaurant industry.

The Lucinda Creperie Cart was the first mobile food vendor I remember seeing with any regularity around downtown Jersey City. I can recall wondering what that might mean for the future and I believe their presence was a major influence that we can all be grateful for.  I have a clear memory of the first time I actually visited the Creperie...it was mid-evening and as I finally approached the window after staring at the menu for ages, Natasha smiled in welcome and took my order (chicken florentine) as her husband Christian immediately began prepping and cooking.  They had an amazing rhythm and it was clear how comfortable and used to working with and around each other they were. There was a sense of happiness, of calm contentment and most importantly, of mutual enjoyment between them that I can still recall feeling both in awe of and welcomed by and that alone made my experience so worth it without ever even having a bite of food - which was delicious, by the way. 

I am so so sorry to hear of her passing and my thoughts are with her husband, her parents, and the Jersey City community as a whole and I just wanted to share my own personal experience and celebrate one of the memories she is leaving behind. The dedication and care Natasha showed in building her restaurants is an inspiration and she will be missed.


Please consider donating to her Memorial Fund: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/natasha-s-memorial-fund/68512

No comments:

Post a Comment