Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Caramel Corn Ice Cream




Yesterday, I had the opportunity to pick up a pint of Milk Sugar Love's  "Caramel" Corn Ice Cream and I am so glad I did. The only other flavor I've tried is the olive oil (very good, a bit lemony with a nice fruity olive oil taste) and while I love the sound of all the flavors on offer, I've been particularly intrigued by the caramel corn because it's such a unique idea, I love caramel and corn to a ridiculous degree, and it sounds like the perfect summer treat.
The ice cream is described as corn roasted with butter and salt, pureed into an ice cream base, and topped with a buttery caramel drizzle which is exactly what it tastes like. I was amazed by how smooth and creamy the ice cream was and how concentrated but mellow the corn flavor was.

As I was enjoying it, I kept thinking of how to describe the ice cream and what I would say is it tastes like a slightly sweetened corn muffin, right out of the oven, spread with incredibly creamy and freshly churned butter - in ice cream form. The corn creates a slight savory taste while adding sweetness without causing the ice cream to be sugary and the richness and intense dairy taste of the butter really comes through. 
 

While I personally would have been happy to have more caramel (see statement above: I love caramel), it was actually a great amount and very well balanced. The caramel adds more buttery decadence but remains in the background as little hints of deeper, darker flavor while the pure simplicity of the corn remains the star of this show.  

All in All:
I am so excited about Milk Sugar Love's presence in Jersey City and this ice cream is a perfect example why. "Caramel" Corn brings the taste of summer to a whole new level. It's very well made, creative and unique, but also fun and delicious. While I can taste the complexity of the flavors, the end result is fresh, pure, simple ice cream that will make you feel good.

Milk Sugar Love can be found at various farmers' markets and events throughout Jersey City, including scooping weekly outside Smith and Chang every Tuesday through September 17th. Check Facebook and/or Twitter or check the Jersey City Eats calendar for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment