Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Some Favorite Delivery Spots in Jersey City

I have an unfortunate tendency to become something of a hermit in winter. And man, have we had a lot of winter this year. So while I will probably not have any friends left by the end of this season, I have developed a pretty good knowledge of delivery options available in Jersey City.

Below are some of my favorites (this is not an exhaustive list, but places I find myself ordering from most frequently). You will note that none of them are Italian/pizza places - don't worry, they'll get their own post. Consider this Part I.


Grand Sichuan - If I'm in the mood for spice and intense flavors, Grand Sichuan is my go-to place. While the entire menu is decent, the authentic Sichuan section of the menu is really where you should be ordering from. I will say the delivery can be a bit hit or miss as far as times and getting the order right, but for the times it is right, it's so worth it. Highlights for me include the soup dumplings (they don't travel super well, but well enough) and the Dry & Spicy Chicken (extremely spicy - be warned).

Big Chef - so while Grand Sichuan is probably the better Chinese restaurant and certainly the more authentic one, I am actually more likely to order from Big Chef. I imagine many of you are huffing in derision, but if I'm looking for Chinese delivery, I'm generally looking for simple and familiar - more Chinese-American than really traditional. However, it's still very good; a few steps up from your typical corner Chinese with overly greasy everything. My absolute favorite is the Sesame Beef , but I also love the lo meins, packed with veggies and your protein of choice. I wouldn't call it super cheap, but certainly far less expensive than Grand Sichuan, good quality, and incredibly reliable. Not to mention - those guys are FAST. I think the longest I've ever waited is 25 minutes and that's a rarity. I really don't know how they do it.

Komegashi Too - In all honesty, I've yet to find a stand-out sushi place in Jersey City that I am absolutely in love with (especially as far as delivery goes) but Komegashi Too is about as close as it gets for me. Their wide selection and special rolls are great and I always find the fish to be fresh and tasty. Delivery can take a while (at least an hour), but if I'm in the mood for sushi, this is top of my list.

Ibby's - Ibby's is a long-standing favorite in Jersey City and for good reason. The food is excellent and basically can be personalized any way you want. I remember thinking this place was better as an eat-in only several years ago, but have recently found that it's a solid delivery option. You do pay for just about everything (extra hot sauce for example) but it's not too expensive, you get a ton of food, it doesn't take long, and there are a ton of options for both vegetarians and meat-eaters.

White Star - I've written about getting delivery from White Star before, and to tell the truth, I've had some hit or miss experiences, but enough hits to keep trying. For typical bar food delivery, they do it well and I like that I don't have to stick within the typical bar food limits - I can get a really good salad or a more typical entree type meal, and for the most part, it holds up pretty well.

There are plenty more options and I'm always open to suggestions, but so far, these are my tried and more or less true.


No comments:

Post a Comment