Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Jersey City Food Scene in the News

As many of you may have seen, in today's New York Daily News, there's an article proclaiming Jersey City the "next foodie neighborhood"! That's a big deal and it's worth celebrating.
In case you missed it, here's the link to the article: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/jersey-city-hot-new-foodie-destination-article-1.1507310

It's a great, very complimentary article showcasing a lot of the exciting developments in Jersey City and I am loving all the positive press Jersey City is receiving. The article primarily focuses on the opening of the new Talde restaurant on Erie Street but also mentions several of the other noteworthy spots around Jersey City including some comments by Razza's Fred Shandler and Dan Richer and Thirty Acres' Alex and Kevin Pemoulie about why they felt Jersey City was the right fit for them.

Obviously for me, the growth and expansion of the Jersey City food scene is an awesome and thrilling thing and I can't wait to see what else comes our way. However, I also think it's important to point out our restaurant scene was really great beforehand too and the city has always had its gems that should not be forgotten in the wake of something shiny and new. There are a lot of amazing restaurants and small shops all throughout the corners of Jersey City and part of what I love and have loved during my time here is the mix of old and new, of traditions and cutting edge flavors and techniques.

I joyfully welcome the expansion, the attention, and the diversity (perhaps not the inevitable rising costs), and view this kind of growth as "the more the merrier" - but I think it's equally important to remember the restaurants that have stood the test of time and helped form and feed the Jersey City community.

It's something I'll be keeping in mind as I eat.

2 comments:

  1. ordinarily i'd be the first to cast a suspicious eye at furriners, but thirty acres and razza really are outstanding. they deserve all the accolades they've gotten. kevin pemoulie kicks butt, and we're lucky to have him. talde... we'll see! i'm cautiously optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tris - I completely agree. We've had some excellent new restaurants come in that I love and I couldn't be happier. I just think it's important to not get distracted by everything new and shiny and sincerely hope Jersey City manages to grow in a way where we can embrace the new without losing the old.

      Delete