Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The IncrediBalls Truck - Parking Deliciousness Near You

It's pretty hard not to notice the IncrediBalls truck - bright orange with a giant logo screaming BALLS, they make their presence known. But trust me, it's a truck you want to know.

The IncrediBalls truck has been parking in various locations around Jersey City for a little over five months and in that time, they've developed a devoted following. Not only do they offer a regular menu of meatballs, but they also offer up specials with such frequency you wonder at their creativity. Some, I'm sure, are less successful than others, but all interesting ideas. The people behind the truck seem to have a great sense of humor and of fun, even offering up free candy at lunch on Wednesdays for hump day. I've been there a couple of times, and each time, they've gone out of their way to engage their customers, talk about the food, and be helpful which is much appreciated.

I recently stopped by when they were parked outside of Cocoa Bakery - the two have been  joining forces and are discussing the possibility of a combo special, most likely available at the truck - and after some deliberation, I decided to go for the bowl of four meatballs. You can get all the same or mix and match two different kinds. They also allow a mix as an option for full sandwiches which is nice if you're like me and can't make up your mind. I chose one of the Fan Favorite specials - Southern Smothered Pork and the Norwegian off the regular menu. As you can see, they helpfully separated the two kinds into two boxes. Details matter.

The Norwegian meatballs are traditional beef and pork, covered in brown gravy and topped with a sour cream dill spread. The meatballs themselves were quite good, flavorful and well-cooked, a little heavy but not dry in the least. The brown gravy was an intense concentration of meat flavor and helped amp up the flavor of the meatballs. I would have enjoyed a touch more dill in the sour cream sauce, but as it was, it was a delicious and cooling, tangy counter to the heaviness of the gravy and the meatballs and I would happily get it again. 

However, I may never be able to stray from the Southern Smothered Pork now that I've had it. It was, in fact, incrediballs. The pork meatballs are covered with carmelized onions in a peppery gravy and then topped with creamy horseradish and I want more of all of that right now. The meatballs were a little more delicate than the Norwegian, but just as flavorful. The onions and gravy were delicious - peppery but slightly sweet and combined perfectly with the juiciness of the pork. The horseradish sauce was awesome. Actually strong and tasting of horseradish, it combined with the gravy to create a hot, irresistible bite to these balls. So good.

The bread (Balthazar Bakery Ciabatta) was a nice addition and very good in it's own right although upon eating it, I could see how if I had ordered a sandwich, things could easily get messy. Besides the ciabatta, IncrediBallsalso offers a po'boy roll for sandwiches and I imagine that would be very tasty. I was surprised at how full I was after eating - this meal is deceptively, but pleasingly, satisfying. 

All in All
IncrediBalls is a great addition to the truck scene around here and I'm really excited about the cooperation that's been going on between them and Cocoa Bakery. They don't shy away from new things and are bold, creative, and fun, creating unique and strong flavors for every single dish. Their pricing pretty much ranges between $6-$8 which I find very reasonable. They do offer a vegetarian meatball and recently started offering vegetarian chili so there are some meat-free options. They also just started offering a Thanksgiving sandwich with turkey meatballs, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy which alone sounds like it's worth a trip. IncrediBalls won't make you want to foresake all other meatballs, but at least for me, I know I'll be seeking the truck out more often.

To check the IncrediBalls schedule, specials, and see where they're parked, follow them on Twitter or Facebook. They will be at Cocoa Bakery again tonight (Wednesday) for dinner service.


No comments:

Post a Comment