Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Grove Square Bistro is Up for Sale (UPDATED - NOT FOR SALE)

*UPDATE*
Despite still being listed as of 11pm 1/9/2013, Grove Square Bistro has stated they are NOT up for sale. According to their twitter, it was an accidental posting on behalf of the broker. They have not responded as to why there was a broker listing at all but did state that work on the speakeasy/nightclub/coffee shop has begun.

I'm being absolutely sincere when I say I don't bear anyone involved at this place ill will and will continue to hope for the best, but the number of responses I received and the enthusiasm I saw about wanting something else here or not liking the current restaurant is pretty indicative to me that Grove Square Bistro isn't what it could and should be. I hope that with time it improves or evolves into something Jersey City can be excited about.


For those of you who might have missed it, Grove Square Bistro is up for sale for $3.8 million. I don't know the entire story behind the sale nor do I like to see local businesses do poorly, but I was not a fan when I tried this place  and have never been able to bring myself to go back. Like many others, I loved the space but found not much there was being well-executed.

I don't know the exact rules of this kind of sale and what can be done with the space and business names, but I do know there's a liquor license and a lot of equipment already there so I've been spending a lot of time dreaming about what I'd love to see move in.


While part of me would love for it to turn into some kind of indoor market or gourmet food hall, I'm guessing it will have to be more of a traditional restaurant type. I feel like we can all safely agree that downtown Jersey City has some great pizza places already (especially now with Porta Pizza moving in) and I'd love to see the area branch out a little while still keeping in tone with the current space.

Here's what I've come up with so far:
A great wine/cocktail bar with interesting, hand-mixed drinks and thoughfully selected appetizers/small plates
An upscale (but still relaxed) Italian place focusing on fresh pastas with seasonal ingredients
A Creole restaurant with a lot of spice but enough of a french flair to live up to the bistro feel
A homey but classic traditional Greek taverna

What do you guys think? Any visions for this place?

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We could definitely use at least one of those around here!

      Delete
  2. A nice Argentine restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that as well! I'd definitely love to see something like that.

      Delete
  3. Seconding BBQ place. Would love something like Astoria's Strand Smokehouse. http://www.thestrandsmokehouse.com/
    Cafeteria style BBQ and whiskey on tap. These folks would totally get on board with Groove on Grove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Upscaled Southern
    or
    an old-timey English pub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm into both of those kinds of places and I'd really love to see something upscale Southern around here. Pubwise, I would love to see different kinds, especially old-timey English, but at least we have a few options.

      Delete
    2. Walking the streets of London, you see places like that all the time centered on the public squares. The building is set up perfectly for it.

      Delete
    3. Agreed, it could be such a great spot

      Delete
  5. whatever it could be, this place should be the social center of town... you can't beat that location!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Apparently it's not for sale according to their twitter feed. Too bad since their food is pretty uninspiring... https://twitter.com/theBistroJC/status/421357653051187201

      Jersey City is missing a decent/authentic Japanese restaurant that serves real sushi. Most of them are pan-Asian that clumps everything Asian food under one umbrella.

      Delete
    2. Yeah....I'm updating the post to reflect that. Thank you for sharing though and I agree...I've found a couple of decent Japanese/sushi restaurants but I think it would be great if we could really have someplace that stands out.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. We have a couple of good gastropubs in Jersey City, but I think the more the merrier! It would be great location-wise.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, any place that doesn't have Rhianna pumping through their speakers at 2 am or loud, obnoxious clientele standing in the street smoking and drinking like losers. Or... a small fantastic wine bar and a specialty food market. Either way... I'll be pleased to see them go and something fabulous and well executed take it's place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like they aren't actually leaving....although lots of people certainly seem to want them to...

      Delete