Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Word Bookstore - Coffee and Baked Delights

After a long wait, and much anticipation, Word Bookstore finally opened a few weeks ago and then this past Saturday, they opened up their cafe (including a walk-up window! Genius!). They're serving Stumptown coffee with a full menu of different beverages (caffeinated and non) as well as a variety of baked goods from different vendors, including some from local catering company and bakery, Bread and Spoon!
I stopped by Sunday afternoon and after browsing through the shelves and mentally adding onto my already lengthy To Read list, went to the cafe counter towards the back of the store and spent more than a couple of minutes debating my options. 

They had some small sandwiches available as well as an array of baked goods (that day's were from Ovenly) including granola bars and cookies. They ran the gamut from standard to vegan to gluten free and I really loved that Word was making a point of having different options. It's a great sign of what else they'll be offering and I appreciate having a bit of a mix and getting to try new things. 

On this day, I picked up a small chai latte ($3.50) and one of the Ovenly vegan salted chocolate chip cookies ($2.50). The chai was quite tasty with a lot of flavor and spice, not watered down or overwhelmed by the milk in the least, and I found the small to be more than ample. The chocolate chip cookie was also great - the salt really helped boost the flavor of the soft cookie, creating a perfect salty-sweet mix with bites of rich dark chocolate. It didn't have quite the same buttery flavor some might expect from a chocolate chip cookie, but it wasn't necessary. It made for a delicious afternoon treat and I would recommend them, whether or not you're vegan.

The quality of both my drink and the cookie speak well of Word's tastes and the kind of food they'll be offering. It seems like it will be a great pace to stop in for a little pick-me-up and some very good coffee and I'm excited to try more (especially Bread and Spoon)!

No comments:

Post a Comment