Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Let Your Imagination Run Wild at Downtown Yogurt

As you might recall, Downtown Yogurt on Newark and Grove opened last week; luckily, a few days prior to Arctic Vortex pt. 2. While winter probably isn't the ideal time to open a frozen yogurt shop, I think I can confidently say that this shop will have no trouble attracting customers all year round.

I stopped by opening night to check out what was on offer and give the yogurt a try. The space is bright and welcoming although I can see there being some traffic issues between the yogurt and the toppings if it gets crowded. If I counted correctly, there are 8 different yogurt/frozen dessert options and a whole table of toppings including nuts, granola, mini pb and mini raspberry cups, fruit (happily not floating in lots of sugary syrup), various small candies like m&ms and nerds, hot fudge, etc. One of the things I was happy to see is that there's a Greek yogurt option, a sorbet option, and a few non-fat and low-fat yogurt options - something for everyone!



On this first visit, I decided to try some of several things - you know, for science. I got the black cherry Greek yogurt, the pomegranate sorbet, and the either low or non-fat (don't remember which, sorry) dutch chocolate frozen yogurt and then topped it off with some toasted almonds and toasted coconut. The Greek yogurt was probably my favorite and what I would term the "most yogurty" in flavor with a distinct tartness that was mellowed out by the fruitiness of the black cherry. The sorbet was also very good, bright and intense in flavor although a bit icy in texture. I wished the dutch chocolate was a little more deep and rich in chocolate flavor, but still very good, sweet without being sugary, and nicely creamy. I would definitely eat all three of them again, but with the variety of other flavors, it may be a while before I get to it. My toasted toppings added a nice crunch with the thinly sliced almonds being especially notable.

Beyond the yogurt and toppings which will lead you to countless combinations, there are also freshly made mini-waffles, hot chocolate, coffee, tea, muffins and smoothies so your snack options are wide and varied!

All in All
Downtown Yogurt is a fun new addition to downtown and although there are several specialty ice cream options around, it's nice to have this alternative, especially with it's self-serve atmosphere so you can really let your imagination run wild and there are no limits. Price-wise, it goes by weight but I found it to be very reasonable with my cup pictured above coming in under $3.50 and I like that again, this is customizable. Be warned, the cups are quite large so while that's great if you're really ready to get deep into that yogurt, you don't need to fill it up to get a decent amount of yogurt/toppings.

2 comments:

  1. Fell in love with the black and pink setting, as far as the yogurt.. I tried a couple of flavors my favorite being Pomegranate & Tarte swirl. Awesome combination of the two flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that does sound like a good combo! Alright, now I know what to try next!

      Delete