Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Event Recap: 6th Borough Market is Back!



Besides Project: Earth, this weekend was also the official reopening of the 6th Borough Market! Held once a month, the 6th Borough Market is a family-friendly outdoor market that focuses on vintage and handmade goods of all kinds with an emphasis on fun and community.



It's amazing to walk around the market and just look at the physical evidence of people's creativity and hard work. There was lots of jewelry, some really interesting art, baby goods, and several booths where I could easily see myself picking up a gift or three in the future.

And of course, there was some excellent food. Amongst the options, there was Choc-O-Pain with bread and sweets, Iced Tea Fusion - a newcomer to the market, Milk Sugar Love and Jersey City Veggie Burgers were both there for their second day of markets, as was Incrediballs, and several other new and familiar faces.


One of the familiar yet new faces was El Chilango Taqueria who can be found late nights or during summer events at Grove Street. It's been a while since I've been by, but the last time I saw them, they were working out of a yellow cart and now they're in a blue truck. If memory serves, I believe that used to be the Paris Sandwiches truck which is too bad but I'm glad to see El Chilango expanding and it looks like they have a bigger menu to fit with their bigger space.

I stopped by Incrediballs and got a mix of the vegetarian and banh mi. Both were fantastic but the vegetarian (quinoa, black beans, corn, sushi rice) really blew me away. There was so much flavor especially with the chili aoli.



I also stopped by Cholita Dessert Bar, a recently-discovered favorite of mine, where there was a beautiful set-up of desserts ranging from cupcakes to spiced pecans. I ended up trying a spiced fig and cream cheese empanada (Full disclosure: I did not pay for this. I was asking about them and Adriana, Cholita Founder and Baker, just told me to try one as we were chatting) and it was unbelievably good. Rich, nicely spiced but sweet and creamy. Cholita will be at the other 6th Borough Markets and at the Riverview Farmers' Market beginning this weekend and I highly recommend stopping by.



If this first 6th Borough Market is anything to go by, there's going to be a great season ahead. The next market will be held by City Hall and we can all look forward to an even bigger and better market!

No comments:

Post a Comment