|Photo from The Royal|
- The Royal, a new gay bar, opened this past weekend for the first time to the public. Located at 100 York Street in the former Lisbon space, The Royal is owned by the same team as Buddy Who's, located next door. They're still in soft open mode, but expect to have their Grand Opening within the next few weeks.
- Caribbean spot Harry's Daughter is launching brunch next Sunday. They haven't introduced the menu yet, but it looks like fruit-topped french toast will be there and if the dinner menu is anything to go by, we can expect some spicy and delicious meals.
- Carmine's Pizza, and the owner's sons Michael and Nicholas, launched national event "Pizza Across America" which helped feed thousands of homeless and hungry people across the country this past Friday, National Pizza Day. With the help of Slice Out Hunger and Slice, an online pizza-ordering service, they got over 250 pizzerias across the country to donate a minimum of 10 pizzas to nearby shelters.
- Cafe Batata has added a variety of new platter dishes to their menu. Choose between Brazilian steak, salmon, or chicken served with housemade pesto or chimichurri alongside grilled potatoes, arugula, and Brazilian onion salad.
- Hudson County Community College is hosting a series of hands-on dinners, classes, and seminars over the next several weeks covering everything from how to make your own sushi to wine-tasting basics to cake-decorating. Prices range from $35-$60 and they have both kid-friendly and adult classes.
- NJ Monthly's 2018 Restaurant Poll is up and Jersey City is well represented in almost all categories. Make sure to submit your votes by midnight on 2/28 and you'll be entered to win one of three prizes.
- Zeppelin Hall is celebrating Mardi Gras through 2/18 with a New Orleans-inspired menu.
- If you're looking for Valentine's Day ideas and plans, make sure to check out the round-up here.
Outside Jersey City
- The 9th Annual Hoboken Chili Cook-Off and Homebrewing Competition has been scheduled for Saturday, March 10th.
- Fascino is continuing their Guest Chef Dinner Series and the next event is with Chef Anthony Bucco of soon-to-open Felina on Wednesday, 2/28 at 7pm. Dinner is $75/person for 5 courses and seating is limited so call 973-233-0350 for your reservations.
- Maxwell's Tavern in Hoboken held their final show this past Saturday. After closing in 2013, it reopened in 2014 under new ownership but has closed its doors again permanently.