Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sky Thai

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I headed to Sky Thai to enjoy Restaurant Week but the regular menu ended up being too tempting. I'd never been to Sky Thai before despite having passed it numerous times and was pleasantly surprised by how spacious and colorful it was. It's well set-up for a couple or a small group of friends and there was some nice outdoor seating.  The seating inside was not overly comfortable, but it served its purpose. They had a long drink menu, filled with specialty/fruit juice based cocktails. The ones we tried were pretty good although definitely a little overly sweet for my taste, but creative and fun nevertheless.


We started with the thai "beef jerky" which was basically stir fried pieces of beef with crispy edges. It was tasty, flavorful with a nice chew to it, but I was expecting something a bit more unique based off the name. Still, it paired well with the sauce and the rice and I'd be open to ordering it again. The starter salad was pretty typical with a nice, refreshing ginger dressing and proved to be a solid choice.



For our main courses, we ordered the drunken noodles, the devil fried rice, the penang curry, and as much as I said to myself, "don't go for the gimmick, don't go for the gimmick" I had last minute ordering panic....and went for the gimmick which in this case was the Chicken Volcano. I'd read about it on Yelp as a dish that the server sets on fire right before serving and although I know it's done for effect more than anything else, I couldn't help but go for it.

My favorite proved to be the drunken noodles (with well-cooked shrimp)which were excellent. Tender, spicy, well-balanced with the basil, and incredibly satisfying. I would love to try this again. The devil fried rice and the penang curry both proved to be quite good with the devil fried rice edging out the curry to just be a little more impressive. It definitely packed some serious heat, but I actually found the drunken noodles to be spicier. The rice was well-fried, they were very generous with the non-rice ingredients of the meal, and again, it was hot and satisfying. The penang curry was good and exactly what it should have been. It didn't blow my mind, but it was a good, reliable choice and I could easily see where this could become a staple for some.




My Chicken Volcano was indeed lit on fire right before serving which was fun and the chicken was very tender with a good crust and a slightly spicy, very citrusy sauce on it. While I enjoyed it, it tasted more like an Americanized Chinese dish then anything Thai. I probably wouldn't order it again - I'd  rather explore the more typical Thai dishes on the menu.


All in All
Sky Thai was a fun meal and I consider it a good option, but it's nothing I'd go extremely far out of my way for. All the dishes were good and there were some excellent options, but nothing that made me start counting the days until I could return. I can see eating here when a Thai craving hits, but otherwise, not thinking much about it.  Prices were reasonable and I had no issues with the service. Delivery is available through Seamless and by calling them.




No comments:

Post a Comment