Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

The White Meat Side of White Star

In the interest of full disclosure, I did not actually consume either of these chicken sandwiches at White Star that I'm about to talk about but I was there during the consumption and discussed them at length. I had a burger but I feel I covered those pretty well in my White Star delivery post so no need to rehash. It was still good, juicy and flavorful although once I saw the chicken sandwiches, I did experience some regret at not ordering one myself.




Now on to the chicken! The buffalo chicken was well-coated in a buttery, tangy hot sauce. The side of blue cheese was creamy, cutting through the heat without being overwhelmingly strong or funky. The lettuce and tomato on the side stayed fresh and crispy which is not always the case when being served with a hot, sauced-up sandwich.


The crispy chicken sandwich came with a serrano slaw and chipotle mayo. The serrano definitely bumped up the spice factor but the chipotle mayo could have used a little more heat although it did create a slightly smoky taste. The slaw was refreshing and crunchy, a nice contrast to the chicken. The sliced pickles on top cut through the richness of the mayo and chicken and created a nice vinegary tang.

In both sandwiches, the chicken was delicious, crispy and thoroughly cooked but not at all dry. The fries were well-cooked, crispy but still with plenty of fluffy potato inside and lightly salted.

I also enjoyed a sage vodka lemonade. It was quite good, freshly made, but not too strong or herby. It was perfect for sitting outside and enjoying on one of the few remaining warm evenings.

All in All
I was at the White Star on Brunswick and Pavonia where they have a lot of great outdoor seating. The inside isn't huge, but is warm and welcoming. Prices are decent although the entrees can get a bit expensive. Service is reliable, the beer/cocktail list can be counted on to provide something interesting, and the food is always tempting with a menu full of with well-made bar classics and some unique items as well - including these chicken sandwiches which I highly recommend. White Star is a good neighborhood bar and the kind of place where you'll want to become a regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment