Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Fall Menu at Orale

Last week, Orale debuted their fall menu so I went to check it out. I was wondering if the fall menu would display more seasonally dependent ingredients, and it did to a degree, but it seemed like the idea was to bring in more typically fall flavors and create a slightly heartier menu and I would say they succeeded.

I decided to try a drink that seemed very appropriate for their new menu: the Otono (Autumn). Made with apple cider, tequila, citrus, clove syrup and topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon, it was very festive and indeed, autumnal. I didn't taste much citrus or clove but it was a good, very apple-y drink. One of my friends ordered the Marlee Ahumado (Smoky).It was basically a classic margarita with the addition of chile de arbol and grapefruit, rimmed in a chile/pepper salt which really upped the spicy/smoky factor. Be prepared for some heat if you order this even with the strong citrus as a counter. Another friend ordered the Nuestra Casta (the house margarita) and it's a classic, well-made version. I also tried the Granada which is a pomegranate margarita. It was very good, heavy on the pomegranate so it was fruity but not light.

My one complaint about all the drinks across the board is that they were a bit light on the tequila. I don't want to taste nothing but alcohol, but I do want to feel a little heat after every sip and I was really just tasting the juice. Price-wise, the drinks aren't outrageous. Specialty cocktails cost $10 and most margaritas come in at 7 or 8 dollars. They also serve beer, wine, sangria, specialty house-made non-alcoholic sodas (really good), and some classic cocktails with a Mexican twist. I love the variety and that they have something to appeal to everyone.

As an appetizer, we decided to try the Queso Flameado which is melted Oaxaca and Chihuahua cheese offered three different ways - we chose the vegetarian option with poblano peppers. Out came a sizzling mini cast iron skillet with more than enough for the three of us. This was not really a dip, but just pure melted cheese with some peppers and a healthy dose of cilantro. I happen to love all of those things, so that worked well for me. It was served with chips but was not the easiest to eat. We ended up doing a chip/spoon/knife maneuver. I would have loved for there to be some spice to the cheese, but because all tables receive three kinds of hot sauce (all really good and decently spicy), it wasn't a major issue. We just put hot sauce on our chips, then the cheese. The cilantro and peppers helped brighten the dish and give it a little more substance and flavor. I'd be hesitant to order the chorizo because I think the grease factor could get out of control pretty quickly, but maybe if you're there for some heavy drinking.....

One clear improvement to the new menu is the addition of the taco trio deal which gives you your choice of any three tacos (you can mix and match) plus rice or beans for $16. Personally, I find the concept of paying $16 for three tacos a little crazy (especially when you have to choose rice or beans) but the ingredients used are unique, of high quality, and the tacos are a decent size so the pricetag is justifiable. In this case, my friend chose the Pollo, the Tuna, and the Happy. All three were very good but the tuna was the stand-out. It was a tuna crudo with pear and chili slaw, pumpkin pesto, and was actually wrapped in lettuce rather than a tortilla. The slaw and pumpkin pesto didn't stand out much on their own, but added to the overall unique flavor. The Happy was a bit difficult to eat and probably could have used more chicken chorizo while the quail eggs didn't seem to mesh very well.


The other dishes we ordered were the Pollo con Mole and the Vegetarian Enchiladas (both $15) and both were very fall appropriate and tasty. The vegetarian enchiladas (which might have been my favorite) are packed with fall/winter vegetables like kale and spaghetti squash and are spicy without being overwhelmingly mouth-burning. Very satisfying.


The new mole sauce that Orale is debuting is an almond and hazelnut based one, but I wouldn't say those flavors were very pronounced. What I did find was a lighter, smoother, less overwhelmingly rich version of mole than others I've tried and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't order it if you're attached to a regular, traditional mole but as a new take, it was great and went well over the chicken which was very generously portioned. The chicken itself was tender and delicious though I wished the skin was either removed or a bit crispier because it just sat a bit rubbery on my plate, but it didn't detract from the meal. The cuitlacoche budin (which I think is huitlacoche, a mushroomesque corn thing) was my favorite part - savory, but slightly sweet and spongy and quite filling.

All in All
We all enjoyed our meal and definitely got an early taste of fall. I'm looking forward to trying several of their other new dishes and drinks. The service is fine and the space is large and well-decorated to be bright and trendy, but it can get loud, especially during happy hours. They do offer some good happy hour deals and brunch specials which are worth keeping in mind. While I enjoy Orale, I would caution people not to expect typical Mexican fare or typical Mexican prices. This is more unique, more trendy, and more high-concept and although I think they overreach at times, you can rely on having a flavorful, interesting, and fun experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment