Pages

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Exploring Rockin Mex

Rockin Mex, 2 Division Street, opened in late November with little fanfare or notice. Replacing local BBQ spot Legal Beans (although still affiliated), Rockin Mex advertises tacos, burritos, Mexican salads, and burrito bowls.

Brought to my attention by reader Christina several weeks ago, I recently got a chance to stop by. While a little taken aback by the seemingly basic menu where you just choose a protein and then how you want it served, I was holding out hopes that it might be a hidden gem with more focus on flavor then elaborate dishes. With that in mind, I ordered what seemed like a special  written on the menu board - chorizo tacos, 3 for under $9.


The surprised look I got when I ordered should have been my first clue of what was to come. Suffice to say, my hopes were pretty well dashed. When I got home and opened them up, I found they were pretty Americanized tacos with big shreds of cheese and lots of iceberg lettuce, all wrapped in a cold, plain flour tortilla. Still, I thought to myself, I can get behind some melty cheese and meat. The bigger surprise (and disappointment) came when I bit into one and found that my chorizo was in fact spicy Italian sausage. An unexpected experience to say the least.

The space has been updated with some interior changes including fresh paint and a lot of music-themed decor like record album covers and photos of classic rock musicians. It looks as though they're trying to create a music/low key vibe for small events. They have a small coffee station, a steam tray area, and a couple of tables if you're eating in but the overall feel is more get in, get out.

Given that, and my less than stellar dining experience, it's unlikely I'll be returning. However, I'm curious if anyone else has gone and had a different experience - particularly with some of their more standard menu items. I suspect this might be a decent option for those looking for the Chipotle experience but at a lower price point and I'd love to hear from anyone else who tries it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment