Pages

Friday, November 3, 2017

Interview with the Candidate: Jake Hudnut

Jersey City elections are right around the corner and I wanted to offer the opportunity to get to know the candidates a little better and let people know who's running to represent them.

These interviews are available to any candidate running in Jersey City and are not indicative of an endorsement or political support. If you're interested in learning more about any of the candidate's platforms and positions, please click on the links to read more. 


First up:

What are some of the changes you've seen in Jersey City in the time that you've lived here? What changes would you like to see in the next four years?
I moved to Downtown Jersey City in 2005, the day after I graduated from Montclair State University. My first apartment was in the Village. The walk down Newark Avenue has changed dramatically since then. When I moved here I almost exclusively met friends in the city on the weekends. Now, friends from the city come to meet me here and we hang out at any of the great places along Newark Avenue.

But the cost has gone up and up. It used to be a bargain to live here, compared to right across the river. We can’t say that anymore. We need more city leaders talking about affordability. This means stronger rent control ordinances and more inclusive housing. I support affordable housing, workforce housing for teachers/police/firefighters (Newark has had some success in this area recently), and artist work/live space. I’ll fight for those policies when I am on Council.

Jersey City prides itself on being a city where small businesses can thrive, but others say the rising rents and lack of development in areas outside of downtown make it difficult. What is the small business community around you like? How do you plan to change, enhance, and/or support that community? 
When I started my practice, I opened my first law office on Newark Avenue in Downtown. I attended meetings of the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District (SID). I became familiar with their needs. In fact, my very first client was Gypsy Grill on Newark Avenue. I helped them get a permit for sidewalk seating. But it took almost two years! That taught me a lot about the red tape that small businesses have to go through to thrive. On council I will be an advocate for small businesses. Our state has a “red tape” commission to make it easier for businesses to get up and running. Jersey City should do the same.

What are your favorite restaurants in your neighborhood? In Jersey City?
This is a dangerous question! I don’t want to leave anyone off my list. I will say I was a big fan of the Merchant on Grove for years and was very sad to see it close. But these days, just about any restaurant Downtown is fantastic, and I’ve had great experiences – and made memories – at each. Our restaurants create such a wonderful community. Isn’t it amazing that you can walk down the Pedestrian Plaza and see an LGBT Pride flag in almost every restaurant window?

But I will give a shout out to a “little guy.” John’s Kitchen CafĂ© on Columbus (it is currently closed for renovations) is a favorite for a quick, delicious sandwich or wrap.
What is your favorite community event and why? 
I am a big fan of the All About Downtown Street Fair. I never miss it. Our neighborhood is amazing and it rightly deserves a celebration of itself.

What kind of food would you like to see in Jersey City that you don't see a lot of currently?
We are fixed pretty good vegetarian wise right now (I’m a vegetarian) so I can’t complain. I am a big fan of peanut butter smoothies and shakes though, and I seem to have an easier time finding them in Manhattan than I do in Jersey City at the moment.

To learn more about about all of the Ward E Candidates, read The Jersey Journal's Ward E Interviews. 


No comments:

Post a Comment