Pages

Monday, November 6, 2017

Interview with the Candidate: Madeleine Giansanti Cag

Jersey City elections are right around the corner and I wanted to offer the opportunity to get to know the candidates a little better and let people learn more about who's running to represent them.

These interviews are available to any candidate running in Jersey City and are not indicative of an endorsement or political support. If you're interested in learning more about any of the candidate's policies, please click on the links to read more.

Read on to learn more about Madeleine Giansanti Cag, running for Ward E City Council. 



What are some of the changes you've seen in Jersey City in the time that you've lived here? What changes would you like to see in the next four years?
I’ve lived in Paulus Hook since 2004, at that time the only residential high rise in downtown, outside of Newport, was Portside Towers. So the number one difference from 2004 is the amount of high-rise living.

Changes that I would like to see in the next four year would be: (1) an increase in amount and real improvement in public schools; (2) better street amenities, like more thoughtful street design (cross walks, bike paths and bike and parking resources) and cleaning/maintenance; (3) more ways to be employed in a thriving Jersey City private sector – incentives for small businesses and tech hubs; and finally (4) more communication from the city about what initiatives are being developed, real timelines for those with details – for data nerds, like me. 

Jersey City prides itself on being a city where small businesses can thrive, but others say the rising rents and lack of development in areas outside of downtown make it difficult. What is the small business community around you like? How do you plan to change, enhance, and/or support that community? 
We have a pretty robust small business community in my neighborhood. Great restaurants, food trucks, delis and gourmet shops, and pet shops too; however, commercial space in many large buildings and prime locations are empty and some remain empty for years. Is it because it is more cost effective for owners to get a tax break than actively seek renters or negotiate leases with rents that are sustainable? I am not sure, but I will work closely with the JC Economic Development to understand the opportunities proposed and help property owners match space with prospective small businesses.

I love street fairs for many reasons, including finding enterprising businesses owners. As a councilperson, I’d help these businesses set up pop-up shops to “test the waters” of a retail concept. Also, I support legislation for a “cottage food law” (has to be passed by the state) so fledgling and temporary food businesses can try stuff out without incurring major upfront costs.

What are your favorite restaurants in your neighborhood? In Jersey City?
I am so lucky to have so many great restaurants in my neighborhood. Some favs of mine are Sam AM – epitome of quality and low-key cool. I can’t imagine my neighborhood without Light Horse Tavern, consistently excellent for casual and special events. I also love take out from Two Aprons and I am almost too close for comfort to the amazing comfort food at White Star. I also love Rumi for the best Turkish food outside of my mother-in-law’s.

In downtown generally - I am Italian, so I will shout out my favs – Roman Nose, Battello, Pasta Dal Cuore. In Jersey City generally, I can’t wait to go to Square 1 – I just have to figure out how to ride my bike from Paulus Hook to St. Paul’s Ave…

What is your favorite community event and why? 
My favorite community event is the Jersey City Nutcracker. It is a celebratory ending to the year gone by. Nimbus Dance Works re-created the classical ballet into a Jersey City story with an urban twist that resonates with everyone.  The performance is part-community, part-professional with the children parts being played by children from all around Jersey City. Young kids and their families, as well as high school dancers and their peers, as well as local seniors come out to enjoy the performance. It’s a no pressure, feel-good event that I can’t wait for every December.

What kind of food would you like to see in Jersey City that you don't see a lot of currently?
I would like to see some creative hardcore healthy food – vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, something like Good Karma CafĂ© in Red Bank or Modern Love in Brooklyn.

To learn more about about all of the Ward E Candidates, read The Jersey Journal's Ward E Interviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment