Pages

Friday, September 16, 2016

Get to Know JC Eater: John

Welcome to "Get to Know JC Eater" where every week I post a profile of a local resident sharing where and what they love to eat in Jersey City. If you'd like to be featured, please leave a comment below or email me directly.

This week's eater is a long time Jersey City resident with a love of music and pizza. 
What's your name? 
John Valencia

Where in Jersey City do you live? 
Currently, my wife Sharon and I live in Paulus Hook. Our first JC apartment a few years ago was around the corner from Van Vorst Park. And about 10 years ago when I was still in school and single, I lived on 5th between Manila and Erie with a couple friends.

Do you have a favorite non-food spot/area in Jersey City? 
I've spend countless hours sitting by the water by the Colgate Clock and Morris Canal Park. It's one of my favorite places to zone out and/or walk our dogs.

Do you follow a specific dietary lifestyle? 
I think the proper term for the dietary lifestyle my wife and I adhere to is ovo-lacto-vegetarian. We don't eat meat but are cool with dairy and eggs.

What are your favorite places to eat in your neighborhood? 
Satis! It's pricey but also unbelievable - an awesome date-night spot. On a beer-and-fries kinda night, I love White Star. My go-to place is Sky Thai. They never disappoint. For breakfast and/or coffee, I bounce around a lot. Sam A.M., Legal Grounds, Short Grain and Lackawanna are all great.

What are your favorite places to eat in Jersey City overall? 
I'm a sucker for pizza so I love grabbing a slice at Helen's or Lisbon II. And I've only eaten there once so far, but it's great to know that we now have an all-veggie spot like Pet Shop downtown. I really dug their "Pulled Pork" sandwich I had last week.

Is there a particular dish in Jersey City that's your favorite or that you find yourself recommending over and over? 
I'm biased because I used to be a barback there years ago but LITM's tofu wings are THE TRUTH! Honey sesame or hot, either way the plate is getting cleaned.

What kind of restaurant would you love to see in Jersey City that isn't here already? 
I'm a big fan of the food of David Trotta of Whealth. It's usually healthy, nutritious stuff but never boring and he often has plenty of veggie options. I recently heard from the dude himself that he's working on opening a spot near Journal Square so I'm excited to see that happen.

Any other info you want to put? 
My ramblings and the random BS that falls out of my head usually end up on my IG - @SoulOfJonas). I also have a Twitter handle - @ItsMeJVInNYC but I'm not too active over there.

A few unsolicited Jersey City shoutouts:
I love Pacific Flea a lot because it's always a great time and Stuart and Joel are good dudes.

Even though I don't eat most her food because I'm veggie, Alex Sartoga of Garden Steaks is a real sweetheart and many of my friends and family love her stuff.

As a music-head and huge fan of live music and local bands, I love knowing that a place like The Citizen exists. When I have the time, I'll often wander over there to see who's playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment